These bushes have thick stems and fleshy branches. Their foliage is generally oval shaped and varies in size
(2 to 7 inches). The size generally depends on the maturity of the plant and its location. These plants commonly grow outdoors, however, when they are young, they can be seen within an indoor area.
- Reviews (0)
Adenium desert rose is commonly known by its deep red flowers and a swollen succulent stem. It is frequently referred to as adenium obesum, the plant which growth mainly depends on pruning and variety. Be very careful with the sap of the plant, as it is poisonous and should not come into contact with pets and children.
When adenium obesum grows on its own, it can reach 10 feet, though there are common cases, when the plant reaches 15 feet. To ensure that the plant has enough soil for proper growth, it should be re-potted in a large container. New growths can be pruned and the plant can be easily shaped at times of its most active growth (during spring and summer months).
- Sunlight. These plants require much sunlight for proper development. If they are growing in cloudy locations, they become spindly and develop less vibrant blooms. Some species can withstand 30-50% shade and the sun can burn their foliage.
- Location. Choose the location with the temperature not more than 95 degrees F. Adenium obesum also enjoys high humidity. That is why in such areas these plants grow better, regardless of whether they are outdoors or indoors.
- Growing in the ground. When adenium is about to be planted into the ground, choose a raised bed with sloping sides. Make sure the area is well-drained.
- Growing in containers. How to grow the plant in containers? Choose only terracotta or clay containers; add stones to the pot’s bottom to ensure comparatively better drainage.
- Dormancy. These plants require special care, especially after entering dormant periods. I always move containers to dry and frost-free locations and water the plants once per month. When the spring comes, I increase the amount of water, because the plant starts entering another cycle.