Terminalia Arjuna, Arjun – Plant
Arjuna is a large, evergreen tree, with a spreading crown and drooping branches.
- Reviews (0)
Terminalia arjuna is a tree of the genus Terminalia. It is commonly known as arjuna or arjun tree in English, thella maddi in Telugu, kumbuk in Sinhala, marudha maram in Tamil and neer maruthu in Malayalam.
Common name: Hara , Harada , Hirala , Myrobalan , Haritaki
Bloom time: April
Height: 15.00 to 30.00 feet
Difficulty level: easy to grow
plant care may require a bit of effort, but the results are well worth the work. Not all plants are fragrant, but the most common and hardy do produce a sweet, carrying fragrance. Common is a vine and has larger glossy green leaves than Royal. Both can survive in temperate climates if they are planted in a sheltered area.
Soil: well-drained soil
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- After a good rain, find a spot that is the first to dry out.
- Water trapped beneath the scales may rot the bulb, so a well-drained site is essential.
- Also, select a site that gets full sun.
- For dependable blooms, plants need six to eight hours of direct sunlight a day.
- Clean away from around the base of the rosebushes any trimmed debris that can harbor disease and insects.
- Late in the season, stop deadheading rugosas so that hips will form on the plants; these can be harvested and dried on screens, away from sunlight, then stored in an airtight container.
This species is generally not used as an ornamental. The purple leaved cultivars are in demand as small specimen trees for the landscape.