Rat Ki Rani
Plant Name Rat ki rani(Queen Of Night Plant) Plant Size- 1 ft Pot size- 8 inch Cestrum nocturnum (common names include Night-Blooming Jasmine,Night-blooming cestrum, lady of the night, queen of the night, night-blooming jessamine, and Hasna Hena, is a species of Cestrum in theplant family Solanaceae (the potato family). A powerful, sweet perfume is released at night.
- Reviews (0)
- Night blooming jasmine blooms only when weather is warm.
- The night blooming jasmine grows well in full sun light or partial shade.
- If you are in frost areas, consider planting night queen under a tree.
- If frost is expected, move the queen of night plant indoors or under shelter.
- The plant will die if exposed to frost but will grow again in the spring.
The Night Blooming Jasmine(Aromatic Plant) thrives best in well draining rich soil with a neutral pH 6.6 to 7.5. However, I have grown this plant in a general purpose potting mix without caring for its pH. Add some river sand and compost (composting at home) or cow manure in the soil to make it sandy and nutrient rich.
Planting, Propagation Methods
The night-blooming jasmine vine can be grown from seeds, stem cuttings and air layering.
Propagation from Seeds
The seeds of Cestrum nocturnum are very small, about 2 mm so they are surface sown to germinate. The seed germination requires a temperature of 75°F (23°C).
Following are the steps for growing night blooming jsamine from seeds:
- Fill a small pot with seed planting soil and water it until water comes out the bottom.
- Put 2 seeds on the soil surface. Cover with a thin layer of soil and press down on the seeds gently.
- Place the pot where it receives full sun. Keep the soil moist but not wet.
- Pinch out the weaker seedling.
- When the seedling is at least 6 inches tall, transplant to a larger container.
Propagation From Cuttings
- It is easy to root a night-blooming jasmine from a stem cutting. The steps are similar to the propagation of jasmine (Arabian or chameli).
- Early in the morning, cut a semi hardwood thin stem, pencil length from the plant above a node.
- Do not take cutting which has flowers or buds.
- Remove lower set of leaves from the cutting. Put the cutting in a rooting media (optional) and insert into wet soil in a small pot. Enclose the pot in a polythene bag and tie the top.
- Place in shade. You can put 3-4 cuttings in the same pot to root.
- The cutting will be rooted in a coup;le of weeks.
- Transplant them in bigger pot.
You can buy a small night blooming jasmine plant from your nursery. Transfer the small plant to a larger pot.
If you are planting more than one plant of night-blooming jasmine shrub, keep them about 3 feet apart.
Night-blooming jasmine needs moist soil at all times. Water regularly. Let the soil dry between watering. Over-watering can cause root rot.
To water the night-blooming jasmine indoors, water until it drains from the base of the pot, and then wait until the soil looks dry to water again.
- Although the cestrum nocturnum is a bush but, if not pruned, grows like a vine growing to a height of 2.4-4 m (8-12 ft). Prune the plant from time to time to keep its size and shape under control.
- You can pinch the tips of growing ends to encourage new branches and growth. The new branches will bloom fast.
- Cut the dead branches and flowers regularly.
- At the end of flowering season, prune it hard. Heavy pruning of night-blooming jasmine produces new growth with heavy clusters of blooms.
- The cestrum nocturnum blooms repeatedly from summer to fall to early winter.
- The plant produces small greenish-yellow flowers, hanging in tubular clusters, 2-2.5 cm long, ending in a star shape with 5 lobes. Some varieties produce yellowish flowers.
- The night blooming jasmine flowers produce berry like fruits 10 mm by 5 mm.
Fertilizer For Night Blooming Jasmine
Feed your night blooming jasmine vine plant in autumn, spring and summer with a balanced fertilizer. Spread the fertilizer around the stem leaving 10 inch from the plant and water well. Every fortnight, you can feed with a liquid fertilizer like seaweed or fish emulsion fertilizer to promote heavier bloom.