Annatto, Bixa Orellana, Shendri, Sindur (Orange Color) – Plant
This plant stands alone in its family; a profusely fruiting shrub, reaching 6 – 20 feet tall, is sometimes called the lipstick tree.
Out of stock
- Reviews (0)
Common name: achiote, achiotec, achiotl, achote, annatto, urucu, beninoki, bija, eroya, jafara, kasujmba-kelling, kham thai, onoto, orleanstrauch, orucu-axiote, rocou, roucou, ruku, roucouyer, unane, uruku, urucum
Bloom time: Late summer, Early fall, Mid fall, Late fall, Early winter
Height: Height: 6 feet to 15 feet
Width: 10 feet to 20 feet
Difficulty level: Easy
Can grow annatto from woody stem cuttings although plant tends to be smaller than when grown from seed. If growing annatto from seed, direct sow outdoors in the fall.
Sunlight: Partial Shade to Full Sun
Soil: Does well in fertile, humus-rich loam that is well-draining. Soil-based potting mixes work well for indoor plants.
Fertilizer: Composted Yard Trimmings, Miracle-Grow Water Soluble All Purpose Plant Food
- Grows well in rich soils with full sun.
- Less hardy plants should be raised in a warm greenhouse.
- A warm greenhouse has a minimum temperature of 55°F (13°C).
- During the day, temperatures should be set to 55-64°F (13-18°C) or above, and at night, the temperature should be at 55°F (13°C).
- In warmer areas, grow Bixa as a hedge or ornamental tree for the flowers and seeds.
- Blooming: From late summer to fall, blooms open cup-shaped, 5-petaled flowers, followed by bristly bright red or dark pink fruit.
- The fruit contain numerous dark red seeds.
- The flowers are a great source of nectar, and thus attract honeybees.